Gypsy and Traveller Planning Policy (Local Plan Regulation 18(3) Consultation)
Councillor Miles Parkinson OBE, the Leader of the Council, reported the completion of a new part of the Local Plan evidence base, the Gypsy and Traveller and Travelling Showperson Accommodation Assessment (GTAA), and its key findings. The report set out a proposed planning policy approach to address the needs of travellers in the new Local Plan and sought approval for a consultation process under Regulation 18(3) of the Town and Country Planning (Local Planning) (England) Regulations 2012.
The Leader reported that the Council had a good track record of meeting its responsibilities in relation to Gypsy, Traveller and Travelling Showpersons over a long period of time, but that other Lancashire authorities had not been as proactive. Councillor Tony Dobson, Leader of the Opposition, commented that the Conservative group supported the proposals and echoed the comments made about other authorities needing to meet their responsibilities.
Approval of the Report was not deemed a key decision.
Reason for Decision
The GTAA included information on gypsy and traveller pitch requirements and travelling showpeople plot requirements. The new Local Plan should seek to address the net requirement for 42 new gypsy and traveller pitches over the period of the plan as set out in the GTAA. A consultation paper was provided, which set out a proposed 3-step sequential policy approach for the Local Plan, as follows, to help meet those requirements:
1. Allocate and safeguard all existing authorised traveller sites;
2. Ensure all pitches on authorised traveller sites are fully utilised; and
3. Identify additional new traveller sites either through the expansion of existing authorised sites or the identification of new sites.
Any responses to the Regulation 18(3) consultation, including details of any further site option submissions, would be brought to Cabinet in early 2020. Further site assessment work and evidence base work would then be required before the Publication version of the new Local Plan could be prepared.
Alternative Options Considered and Reasons for Rejection
The Local Plan is being prepared in accordance with the Town and Country Planning (Local Planning) (England) Regulations 2012. As the preparation of a Local Plan is to be in accordance with this legal framework there are no alternative options for its preparation. Specific policy options have been considered and addressed through the previous Regulation 18(1) and (2) consultations, and are set out in the accompanying sustainability appraisal reports. A further sustainability appraisal will be published alongside the Regulation 18(3) consultation documents, along with other supporting justification papers.
Resolved (1) That Cabinet notes the content and findings of the Gypsy and Traveller and Travelling Showperson Accommodation Assessment 2019 (included in the report as background paper 1);
(2) That Cabinet notes and approves the content of the Gypsy and Traveller Policy and Site Options Consultation paper (included in the report as background paper 2);
(3) That Cabinet delegates authority to the Chief Planning and Transportation Officer, following consultation with the Portfolio Holder for Planning, to make any final minor changes to the Consultation paper as they consider necessary or appropriate; and
(4) That Cabinet approves the publication of the Consultation paper for a 6 week consultation period recommended to commence on Friday 29th November 2019 (concluding on Friday 10th January 2020).
- GTAA Report, item 169. PDF 184 KB
- Appendix 1 - Final GTAA, item 169. PDF 1 MB
- Appendix 2 - Gypsy and Traveller Consultation, item 169. PDF 4 MB
- Appendix 3 - Customer First Analysis - GTAA, item 169. PDF 176 KB