Agenda and minutes
Venue: Scaitcliffe House, Ormerod Street, Accrington
Apologies for absence, Substitutions, Declarations of Interest and Dispensations
Apologies for absence were received from Councillors Noordad Aziz and Terry Hurn.
Councillors Kath Pratt attended the meeting as substitute representatives for Councillor Hurn.
There were no declarations of interest or dispensations.
To submit the Minutes of the meeting of the Resources Overview and Scrutiny
Committee held on 11th September 2018 for approval as a correct record.
Recommended - That the Minutes be received and approved as a correct record.
The Minutes of the Resources Overview and Scrutiny Committee held on the 11th September 2018 were submitted for approval as a correct record.
Resolved - That the Minutes be received and approved as a correct
To update the Resources Overview and Scrutiny Committee on the latest developments of Fly Tipping, Littering and Graffiti in Hyndburn.
Recommended - That the Committee notes the update within the report and makes comments.
The Head of Environmental Services had submitted a report to update the Committee on the latest developments of fly tipping, littering and graffiti in Hyndburn.
Members of the committee asked a number of questions:
· Are there any problems for the emergency services dealing with bonfires in the borough.
No major issues were reported about bonfires with limited clearance of fire hazards from back alleys so the police and fire service had no concerns.
· Has Kingdom Services started their contract and would they cover just the town centre.
Due to legal reasons there had been a delay but the contract would start on the 5th November with a two week period of warnings. Public open spaces would be monitored along with all townships in the borough, not just the town centre. There would be four uniformed operatives which could be target an area.
· Are there any updates on the Council’s enforcement action for litter and dog fouling and how HBC are tackling the problem.
Dog fouling was a fixed penalty notice and the service was helped by intelligence provided by Members of the public.
· Dog bins were discussed and Councillor O’Kane questioned if they could be included in the conditions for planning applications such waste bins were.
The issue of capacity for collection was mentioned as there are limits on the collection schemes.
· How many people have been prosecuted for dumping rubbish on back streets and how much money had been raised.
There were different fixed penalties issued with fines going direct to the courts, the Head of Environmental Services would circulate detailed information at a later date.
· What information was available to residents on which items could be taken to the household waste recycling centres.
The Head of Environmental Services would take the issue up with the Lancashire Waste Partnership at their next meeting.
· What happens to the large amount of plastic that was collected.
Some types of plastics were separated and some had been sent abroad which required an export licence and approval from the environment agency.
Resolved - (1) That the Committee noted the updates within the
- (2) That in 12 months time a report be produced on the
Kingdom Services Group Limited and how their services were operating in the Borough.
Corporate Support Business Plan Update
The Corporate Support Business Plan is included in the Legal and Democratic Services Business Plan and will therefore be considered as part of the wider report next year
Recommended - That Members note the update.
The Overview and Scrutiny Officer reported that the Corporate Support Business Plan was included in the Legal and Democratic Services Business Plan and would therefore be considered as part of the wider report next year.
Resolved - That Members of the Committee noted the update.